What To Bring
For a day of canoeing we suggest the following items:
- Bathing suits
- Beach towels
- Ice chest (and bungie cords to tie your cooler into the canoe)
- Pack a lunch (sandwiches, chips, soft drinks)
- Plenty of drinking water (to avoid dehydration in the Florida humidity)
- Sunscreen (another must have in Florida!)
- And remember to bring a change of clothes for the ride back home!
For an overnight canoeing trip we suggest the following items:
- Water - 1 gallon per person, per day
- Cooler with ice
- Food and Snacks (Marshmallows & Cocoa)
- Cookware - Frying Pan, Can Opener, Utensils
- Firewood or DuraFlame Logs
- Grill top to cook on the fire
- Axe and Shovel
- Stove, Lantern (Matches or Lighter)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Tent with tarp
- Sleeping Bags
- Dish Detergent - Brillo Pads are great!
- Bathing Suits
- Aqua Socks or old shoes (sharp objects can be found in the river)
- Dry Clothing for ride home (Best left in vehicle)
- Garbage Bags for trash and storing
- Sunscreen and Lip Balm
- Hat or Visor
- Sunglasses with strap
- Fishing Pole and Bait (Need fresh water fishing license)
- First Aid Kit and Mobile Phone (if available)
- Toothpaste and Toothbrush
- Car Keys (Best to leave in our office or secure in your canoe)
- Rope or string to tie gear into canoe
- Air Mattress
- Mosquito Repellant or Coil
- Watch or Clock
- Games (Cards, Football, Frisbee, Fossil Sifter)
- Remember to label all camping gear with your name in case of loss
Sure, with sunny & warm weather (usually around the mid 80's and up) canoeing the Peace River is a blast and a great way to cool off on a summer day. But while you're having fun, please follow these tips and rules for a safer and happier trip.
- LIFE JACKETS - Although the Peace River is known mostly for extreme beauty and does not offer a "white water experience", sometimes canoes do tip over. Also it is Florida state law that children under 6 must have their lifejacket on at all times! So please wear your life jacket. We provide each canoeist with a life jacket!
- EXPERIENCE - No previous canoeing experience is required. We will provide basic instruction when needed.
- PLAY IT SAFE - Alcohol, drugs, and canoeing don't mix. Thank you for your understanding.
- DO NOT LITTER - Please help keep the river and beaches beautiful.
- CANOES - Do not leave canoes unattended at any time.
- RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY please. When camping always camp on the right side (west) of the river from Zolfo to Gardner.
- NO GLASS or Styrofoam on the river, please.
- THE DEPTH of the river will vary significantly all along the canoeing routes. When you swim, beach the canoes and walk into the river slowly.
- DURING LOW WATER canoeists can expect a few log jams that may require portaging.
- DURING HIGH WATER be on the lookout for submerged logs, and snakes in the willows near banks.
- NEVER DIVE or jump into the river. You could find the river shallow or deep and you could hit a hidden rock or log.
- DON'T DRINK RIVER WATER.
Obey Local Laws
YOU CAN BE ARRESTED by local authorities for:
- Alcohol - Public Drunkenness
- Persons under 21 possessing or consuming alcohol
- Disturbing the peace with loudness or obscene gestures and language
- Trespassing on posted private property
- Fishing without a license